Marc Choyt, co-owner of Reflective Images (Artisan Wedding Rings) with small scale gold miner, Suleiman Otierno at the Migcrodepro Artisan Mine in Kenya, May, 2014. Marc represented North American Ethical Jeweler at the invitation of Fair Trade Africa to visit with miners in Kenya and Tanzania who are in the process of working their way up to getting fair trade certification.
Fair Jewelry Action
We founded Fair Jewelry Action, an activist nonprofit network representing companies, organizations and individuals striving to bring economic justice and environmental responsibility to producer communities around the world.
We educate, support other jewelers, expose issues and conduct campaigns supporting indigenous people — for example, Inuits in Greenland. In 2012 we organized the international network of fair trade jeweler, gathering 140 signatures to protecting the integrity of fair trade gold from large companies and their allies. Our campaign was a key factor in successfully protecting the fairtrade gold label.
In addition, we regularly publish news articles and lecture on ethical jewelry issues. We publish editorial comment which is widely read by those in the ethical sourcing community.
Giving Back To Our Local Community
We are sustainability business leaders in our local community of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Our company was a business of the year in 2006 and 2008. In 2012, our President, Marc Choyt, was honored in New Mexico, a state wide award for Sustainable Leadership. Marc currently sits on the board of the Santa Fe Green Chamber of Commerce.
We are artisan focused and support artisan production, from the gemstone miner to the jewelers who create the designs on this site, Internationally, we seek to work directly with the small scale miners whenever possible.
At home, we believe that artisan support starts in their own shop. Employees receive three weeks paid vacation, paid sick leave and several paid holidays. The company covers 50% of health insurance and wellness benefits. Opening wages are $16 an hour. We donate regularly to worthy local causes through silent auctions and help any way that we can.
Awards and Recognition:
For our work involving ethical sourcing, being a trusted supplier and local business leadership, we have been honored with several awards:
- •2014, the City of Santa Fe New Mexico Awarded Reflective Images a "Sustainable Santa Fe" award for their exemplification of the "triple bottom line" approach to business.
- • 2012: Our President, Marc Choyt, was honored in New Mexico, a state wide award for Sustainable Leadership
- • 2010: The NGO Jewelers That Care named our company a Retailer of the Year for our efforts to benefits to the jewelry world and the planet at large
- • 2010: Earthworks, the NGO responsible for the No Dirty Gold campaign give Reflective Images an 'A', the highest rating given to any jewelry company, for responsible sourcing and promotion of ethically sourced gold.
- • 2010: OC Tanner Corporation, the leading Premium and Recognition Company, names Reflective Images a Superior Suppler, just one of three vendors named out of 300 for their 2009 performance. We also won this award in 2008, 2006, and 2005.
- • 2008: The City of Santa Fe New Mexico names Reflective Images business of the year for our treatment of employees, visionary practices and leadership in the jewelry sector. We were also honored as one of Santa Fe’s top small businesses in 2006.