The owners of the company: Helen Chantler and Marc Choyt, in Fez, Morocco. Before starting their company in 1995, Marc was a high school teacher for Native Americans and Helen worked as a production jeweler and designer for another company.
Company Mission StatementReflective Images is a profitable, creative jewelry company that produces beautiful designs of consistently high quality in a timely fashion. We are committed to providing customers with a meaningful and enjoyable experience. Our business provides for its employees economic and financial needs, and allows us to lead enriched work lives.
Company Vision StatementWe are a community of individuals who respect and appreciate each other, valued for our contributions, creativity and dedication. We understand that our mutual prosperity is rooted in each other's success and innovation.
We are a pioneer and world leader in ethical sourcing practices, making jewelry with the highest regard for the environment and greater community of producers around the world.
Take a tour of our studio and gallery, in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
History and MarketReflective Images was founded in 1995 by Helen Chantler and Marc Choyt. Before founding the company, neither had any business experience. Marc worked as a high school teacher and Helen worked at a local jewelry company doing production jewelry design. Between 1995 and 2009, the company sold to over 450 galleries and jewelry stores around the country. Over the past five years, the company has dropped their wholesale business to the trade and instead has focused on their own Santa Fe store and their websites.
Employment PracticesReflective Images has ten employees. Employees receive three weeks paid vacation, paid sick leave and several paid holidays. The company covers 50% of health insurance and employees also receive a "wellness" benefit, where the company matches up to $75 dollars a month that employees can use for anything from working out at the gym to yoga or meditation retreats. The entry wage is $16 an hour. Five employees have bought houses in Santa Fe while working for the company.
Environmental CommitmentReflective Images has state-of-the-art jewelry making equipment and ventilation. They recycle as much as they can in-house and use chemicals that are not damaging to the environment whenever possible. All packing material is either from shredded junk mail or recycled from what is received from our suppliers. The gold that's purchased for in-house fabrication is entirely recycled or fair trade. They pay extra for electricity which comes from wind and solar sources.
Recent Awards and Recognition
- In 2014, the City of Santa Fe New Mexico Awarded Reflective Images a "Sustainable Santa Fe" award for their exemplification of the "triple bottom line" approach to business.
- 2012: Sustainable Leadership Award.* The Green Chamber of Commerce of New Mexico recognized Marc Choyt and Reflective Images in in 2012 as one of New Mexico's sustainable business pioneers and leaders. Marc was honored at the first annual NM Sustainable Business Summit.
- In 2008, Reflective Images was again honored with the Excellence in Business Award offered by the City of Santa Fe and Chamber of Commerce for its business practices, contribution to the local community and the jewelry sector as a whole.
- 2005, 2006: Superior Supplier, OC Tanner Corp.* OC Tanner is the leading Premium and Recognition company in the world. They have over 300 vendors and name just three as superior suppliers. Reflective Images is OC Tanner's only supplier that has less than twenty employees.
- 2006: Finalist For Outstanding Community Business.* The Mayor and City Council of Santa Fe recognized Reflective Images in June, 2006 as one of Santa Fe's top five businesses, based on charitable contributions, job creation, diversity in the work place, wages, and benefit package.